Picture standing for hours on a windy, cold, sometimes rainy—and let’s be honest—probably smelly cliff, just to watch birds. For many, this would be a hard pass. But for me, this is my happy place, the one place where I find peace, admiring the resilience and adaptation of seabirds as they thrive in some of the harshest environments. The journey that led me to this windy perch, however, was anything but straightforward!

While observing seabirds can be done in fantastic conditions (1, 2) it can also be done in horrible ones (3)!
[1-Observing gulls, auks and other seabirds on the Isle of May; 2-Monitoring Atlantic puffins (Fratercula arctica) in Shetland; 3-Fieldwork suspension due to poor visibility]. Photo credits: Diane Pavat (1, 3), Laura Rudd (2).
I’ve always been a traveller at heart, having grown up in Belgium, Austria, and France. After years of moving, my family settled near Grenoble, an idyllic spot for mountain lovers. Inspired by the surrounding nature, I pursued a BSc in Biology with a focus on forest ecosystems and microbiology, convinced that plants and trees would define my future. That is, until one unforgettable summer…

A trip to Mauritius and an encounter with hundreds of spinner dolphins (Stenella longirostris) changed everything. In that moment, I knew my passion lay in marine biology. The shift from forests to oceans was an unexpected but exhilarating turn, and my passion for marine life continued to grow.

Living by the mountains didn’t exactly make marine biology easy to pursue. So, I took a leap of faith, combining my love for travel with my newfound passion, and moved to the University of Aberdeen to pursue an MSc in Marine Conservation.

Spinner dolphins (Stenella longirostris) in Mauritius. Photo credit: Diane Pavat

But how did seabirds enter the picture? After completing my degree, I worked for three years as an Ecological Consultant in the offshore wind farm sector. It was there that I learnt everything I know about seabirds and understood the risk they face from climate change and anthropogenic activities. Spending more time observing seabirds in the field, I quickly realised that I would dedicate my career to studying and protecting them. Three years later, the perfect PhD opportunity appeared: studying southern rockhopper penguins in the Falkland Islands! My chance to study my favourite species group in a remote, exceptional location.

My project will focus on understanding why this species has been rapidly declining over recent decades. I’ll head to the field to study their behaviour at sea and at the colony, collecting a wide range of data—from GPS tracking to feathers, blood samples, and yes, even vomit and faeces! All in the name of science, of course. Back in the lab, I will analyse these data and their changes over time and will aim to uncover the environmental factors driving the species decline and help create effective conservation strategies to restore their populations.